PROaupair’s Step-by-Step Process
- Check if your Family qualifies to host an au pair through our Department of State designated program.
- Start your Family Profile & review au pair candidates online
- Schedule a free consultation call with our team to get expert advice and help finding the best au pair for you. You will have access to all of our candidates online and can talk with our experienced placement team about pros and cons of individual candidates based on your family’s needs. We will then introduce you to the candidates who are mutually interested in your family.
- Interview in person with our Area Director in your home. This gives you a chance to ask more detailed questions and for the Area Director to tour your home and the au pair’s private bedroom.
- Interview candidates on Skype, and if your favorite candidate accepts your offer, you have a match. At this time the Placement Fee is due.
After that, we will:
- Assist your au pair with scheduling a visa appointment at the closest U.S. embassy where she will apply for her J-1 Visitor Visa. Your au pair will typically receive her visa 5 to 10 days after the visa appointment.
- Make sure your au pair will complete her orientation, 32 hours of childcare & safety training & 6 hours of communication training in her home country before traveling to your family.
- Meet with you and your au pair within the first two weeks of her arrival for an orientation meeting where we will make sure everyone is adjusting well, and answer any questions you or your au pair may have.
- Organize social events for the au pairs, and be a local support for you and your au pair for the duration of her program year.
How long does the process take?
The minimum time frame for visa processing after your match is 4-6 weeks. We recommend that you start the process as soon as possible. German au pairs typically complete their applications at least 6-9 months prior to their available travel date. Starting the process early prevents a sense of feeling rushed and ensures the largest selection of au pairs to choose from.
Start your Family Profile Now or call us at 949-903-2348 if you have any questions.