The tax information contained on this website is not meant to be exhaustive and is not meant to be tax advice. We are providing introductory information for U.S. income tax requirements of au pairs working in the US on J-1 visas. If you have any questions about your tax obligation you should speak with a professional tax advisor or Certified Public Accountant. Please note that Apex PROaupair, our staff, and Area Directors are not able to provide any additional guidance or tax advice.

Tax Information and Resources for Professional Au Pairs

It’s tax season and Apex PROaupair would like to provide you with some introductory information about what you can expect. Below please find some frequently asked questions about tax returns.

1. When should I file a U.S. tax return? U.S. tax returns can start being filed on January 27, 2020 and must be filed no later than Monday, April 15, 2020. According to the IRS, E-File is not an option for au pairs. Nonresident aliens must mail their return to the IRS.

2. Check out our tax resource for professional au pairs. Apex PROaupair has teamed up with Sprintax, an easy-to-use online tool to prepare your tax return. When you set up an account with Sprintax, you can easily prepare fully compliant Federal and State tax returns online. As a Care Professional with apex, you will receive a $10 discount off the processing fee. Enter the code SpTx2019AUP301F10 in the discount code box on the payment page at the end of the process.

Sprintax has 24/7 Live Chat customer service to guide you through the process.

3. Will I owe taxes?  It is important to understand that 2018 tax rules have changed based upon the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. The biggest change is that there is no longer a federal exemption for nonresident aliens meaning that every dollar earned by a nonresident alien is subject to federal income tax.

The weekly stipend that au pairs receive is taxable in the U.S.  The stipend is taxable because the US Department of Labor has determined that stipends are wages due to the employee-employer relationship with the host family.

4. How much should I save for taxes? Although each situation is different and unique to you, as a general rule, you should set aside around 10% to 15% of the au pair income you make in the U.S. to cover federal taxes owed. The actual amount you need to pay will vary based on a number of factors.

5. Do I have to pay state income tax? In addition to paying federal income tax, some au pairs may be required to pay state income tax, depending on the state they live(d) in. Check the state’s tax revenue website for details.

6. Apex has hired a Certified Public Accountant to provide helpful information on Basic US Tax Treatment for Au Pairs.  Find a Tax Information Sheet to Download HERE.

Additional Links and Resources: