Why should I become an Au Pair?
Is it worth it to move to a foreign country and live with another family?
Aside from the job and my studies – what benefits will I get?
Anett Osváth, Professional Au Pair
These and many other questions were running through my mind when I applied to become a Professional Au Pair with A.P.EX. PROaupair in 2011.
To get answers, I talked a lot with others who had worked as Au Pairs. It also meant a lot to me that I could talk to a Hungarian speaker from the agency (they have employees that speak many languages).
After they answered my questions quickly and helped me through each step of the process I was less anxious. It was nice to feel that I could trust the agency and they would be able to help out with any problems that came up during my time in America. Of course, I had some worries and concerns still, but I knew I would only learn by trying!
I moved to New York City to live with a half-Hungarian family. After the first flight of my life I was so excited about this challenge!
The first year flew by and I was having such a great experience that I decided to extend my program and stay for a 2nd year!
Now that I’m close to the end of my program, I wanted to share with you some of the experiences I expected I’d have – and some things I never thought I would do during my time as a Professional Au Pair.
I hope this answers some of your questions, or at least inspires you to take a chance and apply. You never know what you might do on YOUR adventure!
I Thought I Would ...
- Get a view of raising children from the parent’s viewpoint
- Learn about the education methods in the United States
- Improve my English
- Learn about American culture and customs
- Earn money
(and I definitely did all of these things!)
I Never Thought I Would ...
- Not say a word for 10 full minutes after seeing the view of Manhattan from the Brooklyn Bridge… speechless! I try to show all the new au pairs this view
- Run on the beach near the ocean – barefoot – The best part was holding the kids’ hands and waiting for the cold waves to wash over my feet on a hot summer day... I never get bored of it!
- Travel to Niagara Falls and see this natural beauty from a boat – I remember standing in line thinking that I had only seen this on post cards before... Unbelievable!
- My host parents would teach me how to ski in Vermont during the Christmas holiday – A year later I went again and skied by myself... Exciting!
- See a beautiful sunrise sitting near Lake Michigan
- Be able to show my sister around New York City
- Visit the Grand Canyon... Breathtaking!
- Walk for hours through Central Park with my friends
- Visit the capital of the United States – Washington D.C.
- Hear the five year old girl I take care of saying “Today at school we had to draw a family portrait and I drew you in my picture...” Priceless!
I have had many great experiences and formed valuable friendships in my time here. For me it was definitely worth it to become a Professional AuPair!